,
Message sent from:

School History

In 2013 the school logo changed to our current modern emblem 'Booky'.  Prior to this, the Killingholme School's emblem was re-designed in about 1969 by the headmaster, Mr. J. M. Gent. It took cognisance of the modern scene in Killingholme - a scene very different from that of even the 1950's.

The lower half of the emblem showed a representation of the "Mayflower" and indicated the strong connection which existed between Killingholme and the Pilgrim Fathers. This may be explained in the following way. John Smith, the reputed founder of the English General Baptists, was preacher of the City of Lincoln from 1600-1602. He was later deposed on account of his "enormous doctrine and undue teaching of matters of religion" and went to Gainsborough. The Vicar of Gainsborough was often absent and had made no proper provision for services. Therefore, John Smith preached in the Gainsborough Church. In 1606 he established a congregation in Gainsborough and this was separate from the Church of England. Soon afterwards, some of his congregation (who lived at Scrooby) also formed themselves into a separate body. Their leader was John Robinson - a Lincolnshire man.

In about 1608 John Smith and his followers went to Amsterdam. The Scrooby group, known as "The Pilgrim Fathers" (though many of them were young men), attempted to follow the Gainsborough men. A company of about 100 travelled overland to Boston, and arranged to be embarked for Holland. However, the captain of the ship betrayed them to the customs officers and they were brought back on land and paraded in the Market Place. The magistrates committed them to "honourable confinement" and this meant that many were housed in the homes of the local townspeople where they were treated with great kindness. After about a month they were allowed to return home.

A few months later they made a second attempt to escape to Holland. The women and children, with the baggage, travelled downstream on the Trent to the mouth of the Humber. They were met by the men who had travelled overland. Most of the party escaped on a Dutch ship and eventually reached Leyden in Holland, where they lived under the leadership of their Pastor, John Robinson. In 1620 they obtained permission to found a settlement in Virginia, and the rest is well known history.

The place at the mouth of the Humber from which the emigrants embarked was Killingholme Creek. This Creek formed the parish boundary between Killingholme and Immingham and thus it was also known as "Immingham Creek". However, at the time of embarkation, Killingholme was at least as big a settlement as Immingham which was really two small settlements, East and West Immingham. Maps of the period show the creek as "Killingholme Creek". Hence the ship on the school badge helped to perpetuate these facts of history.

The Wheatsheaf, in the upper right quarter of the emblem, reminded one of the agriculture which for centuries sustained the inhabitants of the area. Of course, the district is still very rural in many respects and agriculture continues to be an important industry in this locality.

The twin flares in the upper left portion were a direct reference to the Humber Refinery. These beacons have become well-known landmarks in the location of the refinery, even though more recently they have merged with the lights of other industries which have come to the area. That they form part of the school badge at all was meant to indicate the recognition by the new generation that Conoco was part of Killingholme, bringing not only economic development to the area but also friendship to all who live nearby - not least of all the local children.

In recognition of this good relationship the Killingholme School decided in 1979 to present to the Humber Refinery a shield bearing the school's Coat of Arms which had such an interesting historical background. The Humber Refinery was not only most grateful, but felt very honoured, by this kindest of gestures.